Dev progress - Let there be art...style (14/12/15)

Development updates, progress, hiccups and what not
caruanas
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
1.5 stars

Dev progress - Let there be art...style (14/12/15)

Postby caruanas » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:59 pm

[UPDATE: Some more initial concept images in this post.]

We've settled on an art style! Details:

Finally, we can create some art!
    Last week we finally nailed down the art style for Faction Overlord. It is completely different from what we were working with so far. This choice was based on both artistic and technical considerations i.e. how to best visualise the game in a way which fits our theme yet still allowing us to manipulate graphics in real time as we would like to.

The visuals will be based on geometric art. Something similar to canonical polygons, but allowing for multiple steps to be taken in the same direction. Essentially shapes laid out on a uniform grid with straight edges at 90 and 45 degree angles, which would look something like the following:

fire prototype.png
    fire prototype.png (21.7 KiB) Viewed 231 times

Now these are just quick prototypes. We've yet to experiment a little bit with the amount of triangles, colour palette and such. But that does not keep us from continuing development now that we know what we're working with.

However as static images they do not really do the style justice. This simple geometric art was chosen to allow us to manipulate and animate each triangle individually, in terms of colour and position on screen. Now I haven't yet had the chance to program a proper visual prototype to showcase these subtle nuances over the weekend, but I've put together a very crude, unrefined example of one of the effects we'll be playing with. In this case, it's a simple animation of the game area background. The gif rendering is very clunky so the luminosity changes appear very jittery. They are intended to be much smoother. But I hope this gives a rough idea of one of the ways we want to manipulate these triangles to achieve our desired look and feel.

Initial background prototype capture.gif
    Initial background prototype capture.gif (553.62 KiB) Viewed 231 times

We'll be working hard on getting a bunch of artwork done over the coming weeks, and I'll try to plan things so that we can quickly give you as many different flavours as we can so that you can get a better idea of the final result. This will be very shader-heavy though, and will necessitate some Unity editor tools to ease the workflow between creating the art assets and importing them as meshes (for shader practicality and efficiency) into Unity. So striking a work balance will be tricky. But as always, we'll power through!

I can't wait to show you more!

If you haven't tried the game yet, go download it from http://www.factionoverlord.com. It's free, but if you'd like to support us throughout development you can add a small donation and enjoy a few perks we've set up for you!
Stephen Caruana

Get Faction Overlord now for free from http://www.factionoverlord.com. If you want to add a donation to support us throughout development, we've got some great perks for you!

Return to “Development”